Situated about 150m from the Hartbeespoort Cable Way upper station our 50m high abseil offers a magnificent sense of exposure as you descend a cliff 300m above the valley floor.
The abseil is operated by one of South Africa’s top mountain guiding schools and offers a stunning view. On a clear day we can see up to 40km! We are often privileged to have vultures and eagles fly past the site in the early mornings!
The return path after the abseil takes you straight back to the upper cable station to you don’t forfeit your return cable-car journey.
Although the abseil is 50m high it is well suited to beginners. Our guides’ objective is to help you to enjoy challenging yourself safely! Come and try it – you won’t be sorry!
Why Experience Harties Abseiling?
– The Harties (Hartbeespoort Cableway) abseil is great for beginners
– After the abseil at Harties Cableway the path takes you back t the upper cable station so you still get to anjoy your ride down.
– At the Harties abseil we use an independant safety rope to prevent a fall – twice the safety
– At 50m high, the Harties Cableway abseil is higher than a 10 story building!
– At the top of the Harties abseil you are more than 300m above the level of the dam.
– From the kit-up area at the Harties abseil you can see as far as the Northgate Dome, Northcliff, Kelvin Power Station in Edenvale and the Telkom Tower at UNISA in Pretoria!
– In summer we frequently see Amur falcons (Falco Amurensis) which breed in southern Siberia and migrate to South Africa for the summer.